Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Scarf with warming pockets

I have made myself a rather large list of craft projects to complete for the holidays and have made two gifts so far...

This scarf was inspired by a pattern I have for a sewn scarf. The original called for fleece fabric for the actual scarf and flannel fabric for the lining of the two pockets on each side. I decided to crochet the whole thing for my step-mom who is always chilly and stuffs her hands underneath her to keep warm.

I single crocheted this with two full skeins of Lions Brand Wool-Ease Dark Rose Heather yarn. Before sewing the pockets, it measured 6"x60" and would wrap around the neck nicely. My step-mom is tiny, 5' tall, so for someone taller, I would add at least another 10 inches to the length. Since I knew she would wear it the way I am in this next picture, I sewed the pockets for her full hand length of 6 inches, reducing the overall length to 48". The seams are double sewn so that she could put little objects in the pockets and nothing will slip out.

The next project I am working on is a hat/scarf set for a toddler and also a scarf for a 6 foot 6 inch man... talk about size differences!

Please let me know what you think!