Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Cold Cucumber Soup

My friend Roussa (with the great smile on the left) makes the most delicious cold cucumber and dill soup! Before she and her family moved back to Bulgaria, she told me that many people live on this soup in the summertime in Sofia... often watering it down and drinking it from a cup!

This past weekend, I attended my future sister-in-law's bridal shower and they served a similar, creamier rendition of Roussa's soup. My future SIL was so excited and nervous about the shower that she hardly ate anything... so I am going to surprise her this weekend by making the soup for her. I was lucky enough to get a copy of the version served at the shower and wanted to share it with you all... it's so yummy! If you make it, please let me know what you think.

COLD CUCUMBER SOUP
(MAKES 5 SERVINGS)

2 Whole Cucumbers (Peeled & Seeded) cut in small pieces
1 Shallot
1 Clove of Garlic
½ Avocado
2 Cups Chicken Broth (cold) *Can substitue water or vegetable broth*
8 oz. Plain Yogurt
2 sprigs of Fresh Dill
1/4 Cup White Vinegar

Salt
White Pepper
Liquid Maggi Seasoning
Crème Fraîche or Sour Cream (optional) for garnish
Chopped Chives

Blend first eight ingredients together in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add salt, white ground pepper and dark liquid Maggi Seasoning to taste. Chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour. Served chilled in cups and garnish with chopped chives and crème fraîche.

Goes perfectly with a crusty bread or croissant. Enjoy!