Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Snickerdoodles

I have so many blogs written in my head that I need to type up... I need to seriously catch up!! But, here's the tastiest one of them all, so we'll begin there.

Last week, I promised my friend Steph of Lovestitches that I would send her a recipe for Snickerdoodle cookies. Well, I can't just go and send the recipe without making a batch of them can I?!

Off to the kitchen in the early morning 80 degree "coolness" I went. Of course, they came out as tasty as ever! And so, I am passing my recipe on to you all. These are excellently soft cookies that go perfectly with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Or, better yet, bake them a minute longer to crisp them up a bit and sandwich the ice cream between two cookies to make a homemade ice cream sandwich. Mmmm!!
Snickerdoodles
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened (1/2 pound)
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • Separate 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 tsp. cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Grease two large cookie sheets and set aside
  3. Wisk or sift together first four ingredients and set aside
  4. Wisk together 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon on a plate or in a bowl and set aside
  5. In a mixer, beat butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until fluffy
  6. Add eggs, one at a time to the mix
  7. Add flour mixture, half at a time and stir until nice and smooth
  8. Take small pieces of the dough and roll into balls (this is the fun but messy part!)
  9. Roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture and place on cookie sheet, keeping about 3 inches between each ball of dough. I usually put 8 cookies per sheet since these will spread out a lot.
  10. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, turning the sheets at the halfway mark.
  11. Allow cookies to cool on sheet for a minute or two before transferring to a cooking rack.
  12. Allow cookie sheets to cool completely before doing the next batch.
Enjoy!