Here's how you do it:
- Preheat your oven to 275 degrees
- Separate broken crayons and sort by similar color
- Place crayons in a ziploc bag and, using wooden mallet or meat tenderizer, smash pieces into 1/2 inch or so sized pieces. A regular hammer will also work, but tends to smoosh crayons more.
- Put crayon pieces into foil cupcake holders so as not to ruin your pans. Silicone works well also and the molds you can find are many... but I would only recommend using them just for this project and not for food.
- Bake crayons for about 11 minutes.
- When the crayons look melted but the colors are still intact, take pans out of the oven. Do not stir them to keep the colors.
- Let the pan cool for at least two hours.
- Remove foil liners from pans and let cool for at least 6 hours to overnight. If using molds, just leave overnight. Unmold the new crayons and start creating!!