Ingredients and Supplies
- 1 clean pint, or 2 clean half pint Ball or Kerr jars... or a very very clean glass salsa or spaghetti sauce jar will work.
- Fresh pickling cucumbers, washed, about 5 or 6
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or several sprigs of fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pickling spice (I use Penzey's)
- 1 1/4 cups white vinegar
- Slice cucumbers about 1/4" thick, set aside
- Combine sugar, onion, garlic, dill, salt, picking spice and vinegar. Make sure sugar is dissolved.
- Put cucumbers in jar (jars) packing lightly
- Fill jar with vinegar mixture to top. If you are splitting into two half pint jars, you might need about 2-4 tablespoons of water
- Cap tightly and place in refrigerator
The pickles will be ready pretty quickly... about 2-3 days. I have already gone through one jar and put new cucumber slices in the vinegar mix. The pickles are sweetly tangy and still give some crunch. Yum!