Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Favorites for a quick dinner

1- Leerdammers Swiss cheese from Holland. I originally fell in love with this cheese when visiting my mom in Massachusetts. There is this super awesome cheese shop there named Wasik's. Every trip back East, I would make my customary visit to the shop and buy this yummy cheese-- even bringing it home on the plane with me once. For years, I looked everywhere on the West coast for this cheese and it finally showed up a year or two ago... a wonderful indulgence!
2- Organic apples from Trader Joe's. Cool, sweet and crispy. Mmmm.
3- Everything bagel chips from Trader Joe's. Crunchy and slightly salty and the perfect accompaniment for #4.
4- Tuna fish! When I worked outside the home, I'd stop by Gelson's deli every once in a while and indulge in their tuna. I finally made my own creamy version at home... and here it is.

Yummy Yummy Tuna Fish (serves 2 adults, 2 children)
2 cans of tuna, I use water packed
1/4 cup real mayonnaise
1 1/2 tbsp. crushed dill
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. white pepper
1 1/2 tbsp. yellow or dijon mustard
1 1/2 tbsp. parsley
1 1/2 tbsp. chives
1 1/2 tbsp. minced onion (or more/less to taste)

Combine dill, salt, pepper, parsley, chives and onion. Set aside
Combine mayonnaise and mustard in a medium bowl. Add dry ingredients.
Add tuna and mash with a fork until it is super creamy.
Cover and let sit in fridge for ten minutes before serving for best flavor.

This tuna is also perfect for tuna melts or wee cucumber sandwiches. I personally love it best on lightly toasted sourdough with thin cucumbers and carrot sticks on the side.