Saturday, July 14, 2007

1 skein = 1 scarf

While I was out buying yarn for my stepmom's scarf, I found the most adorable kids yarn... and bought all the skeins in the store! It's called Sassy Stripes by Moda Dea in Crayon, how appropriate! I knew I had wanted to make scarves with matching hats for several munchkins, so I thought I would experiment and see what I could come up with.

Here is the first scarf. I used a smaller than recommended, size F (3.75mm) hook, and half-double crocheted the whole thing... it came out nice and tight. Since it is for a toddler, the scarf only measures 3 1/2 inches wide by 4 feet long, but I tried it on, and I could actually wear it as a cute wee neck warmer!

My son, the recipient of this particular scarf has been watching me crochet for the last few days and kept asking me when it would be done. Today, after taking care of the ends, I happily handed it to him to try on. In the 100 degree Los Angeles heat, he sweetly posed for this picture.

Next I'll be making a matching cap to go with it... now I just have to pick a pattern!
I'm still working on the uber-long scarf for my 6'6" friend as well. That's going to be a while. After that, I want to make some fingerless mittens (a.k.a. wrist warmers) for myself.

What do you think? What are you working on right now?