Friday, September 2, 2011

Wearing Teal Today for Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month

Men:  I know there are men out there who read my blog.  Please don't just gloss over this!  Do you have a wife?  A sister, a mother, an aunt, a friend... cancer does not discriminate!


Today, I am wearing T.E.A.L. 


I will be sporting a teal top and teal toes today to show my support for and raise awareness of National Ovarian Cancer Awareness month.  It's not much, but for me, it is a show of love for my sister, who celebrated her 2 year cancerversary this past May.  She's young... too young to have gone through so much already!  But, she is strong and she is an active and she is a survivor.  And now, I am taking action too!

The signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer are soooo easy to overlook:
"Research suggests that the four symptoms of bloating, pelvic or abdominal pain, difficulty eating or feeling full quickly and urinary urgency or frequency may be associated with ovarian cancer.  Ovarian cancer symptoms can also include: a feeling of fullness in pelvic or abdominal region, gas, nausea, indigestion, constipation, diarrhea, menstrual disorders, pain during intercourse, fatigue and backaches"      -from OvarianCancerAwareness.org

What can you do:
Talk to your doctor!  If you have experienced these symptoms for more than two weeks, you must talk to your doctor!  I have read blogs and personal stories other than my sisters about women who suffer for years.  Some think "I'm too young... That's not me... It's embarassing..."  Really?!  There are some simple tests out there to help diagnose early stages of ovarian cancer.  A quick trip to the doctor's office will get you going in the right direction.  Remember the T.E.A.L. acronym above?  Take Early Action and Live!

What else can you do:
Do you have a friend or family member who has mentioned any of the symptoms above?  Talk to them! There are printable pamphlets, websites (NOCC and OCAwareness to name two) and medical professionals trained to help.  I would rather talk to a friend and be wrong than have kept my mouth shut and find out later that they had been diagnosed too late.

So today, when I visit my husband at work and someone mentions my toes or my outfit, I will be talking T.E.A.L. to help raise awareness of Ovarian Cancer.  It may save I know and love.  What will you do?

For you N.D.L. with much love always!