Monday, January 17, 2011

On Perfection

Monday Morning:  7:00 a.m.
Dirty dishes in the sink and on the counter as well
Laundry, dried yesterday, still in the dryer waiting to be folded
Books and toys shoved towards the walls (in case of midnight wanderings-- we don't want those footsies harmed!)

In the past month, I have had several friends and family say the following things to me:
"You're peerrrrrrfect, jeez!  I can't compete with all this!"
"You are what I want to be like when I grow up-- you do it all!"
"Really now... when did you have time to make that!  When do you sleep?!"
"You truly are a Martha Stewart Heather!"

The first time this happened, I laughed it off, but admittedly, inside I felt a little proud.  The second time this happened, I protested that no, I'm not like that, not really perfect at all!  The third time, I remember thinking "Are you kidding me?!  The dirty laundry pile is toddler-high, I'm wearing the same pants I had on yesterday and it's now 1:30 in the afternoon and I've yet to brush my teeth!!"

So, here I am with my slightly TMI list of normalities to tell you that I am sooooo not perfect! 

Now, some of my friends and family who have seen my messy home are probably rolling on the floor laughing in agreement about my imperfection, and that's fine.  I know I do a lot of things... more than others but less than others also.  I have good days and bad days just like everyone else... the pictures that I take to use on this blog don't show piles of laundry and sinks of dishes because, frankly, I don't want to post them.  But they're there!  Gobs of unfiled paperwork too.

I'm not perfect and I'm perfectly okay with that.