Thursday, January 20, 2011

Contemplation and Camaraderie

Awhile back I bought these 3 skeins of Malabrigo Silky Merino in gorgeous Cape Cod Gray... a beautiful neutral color I hoped to add to my wardrobe. 

The very next day I spotted Annette Petavy's intricate looking but unfussy Violet Points Scarf and knew the two were meant to be together!  I wanted to crochet the scarf with two skeins and make a nice matching pair of fingerless mitts or perhaps a hat with the remaining skein.

After the hustle and bustle of the holidays, kid vacations and house painting died down, I was able to start on the scarf.  The pattern is quick to memorize and really very pretty.  I'm excited about it... but... I've been crocheting this very pretty maybe shawl/maybe scarf for about a week now and I'm stuck in contemplation about it.  At two skeins in, I'm thinking I will use this more as a shawl rather than a scarf.  Unblocked, it is ten inches wide and 37 inches long.  I know it will not get too much wider but I was really hoping for a bit more length.  Ah the joys of yarn substitution.
So, I've been talking with two fellow crocheters on Ravelry about my dilemma and I thought I should mention them.  I have never met either lady, but both have been so sweet to encourage my project and they have been leaving me sweet comments and private PM's about it.  For those of you who do not use Ravelry, it is a free online website to connect with like-minded crafters-- mostly of the crocheting or knitting variety.  Spinners, weavers, dyers and more are also on there. 

The camaraderie I get from these people is quite wonderful to say the least.  I'd say about 1/3 of my followers on this blog are from there!  Supportive, opinionated and loving, these men and women find one another in all sorts of groups, like "Yarn Hoars", "At Home Moms", "Crochet Liberation Front" and more.  If you have a love of Harry Potter or the color green... there's a group of people to share the love with!

Anyway, back to my scarf/shawl... I still am contemplating.  Should I use the 3rd skein to add 9 inches on each side or should I just finish up the borders?  I think I'm going to block it and see where it's at.

To be continued...

January 22, 2011 Update:  I ended up using all three skeins and it is the perfect size!