Friday, May 29, 2009

The First Tomato

Just before watering this morning, we picked our very first tomato of the year. We've all been watching this front runner of the garden... waiting patiently for it to ripen and be ready for plucking.

Today was the day. Em walked out with me, we opened the gate and examined the tomato carefully. Was it fully ripe? Was today the day or would it be tomorrow? The birds in the neighbors tree were chattering away... Em looked up at me and I smiled. I nodded. Today was the day!

The tomato came off easily, ready to leave the plant and plopped into Em's waiting hand. He waited patiently for me to finish watering the garden... waited for me to check the zucchinis (allllmost ready!) and then waited for me to take half a dozen photos of his tomato. Finally, he washed it off and popped it in his mouth.

"How is it?" I questioned. No reply. He was still chewing. Rob had recently taught him about savoring things... chewing slowly and enjoying things to their fullest. Here was this lesson being perfectly executed!

A full 30 seconds later, this was his reply: "That was an excellent tomato! I liked it better than the Trader Joe's tomatoes. It was sweet but not too sweet and it was juicy. It wasn't sour at all. Are there any more that are almost ready??? I want some more!"

And that is the story of our first tomato.