Friday, May 30, 2008

Hello cloth napkins, goodbye paper napkins

As part of my 101 goals for the next 2 1/2 years, a.k.a. 101 things in 1001 days, I made 2 pairs of kid-sized cloth napkins this morning while Em and Ro were exploring nature in the backyard.

Personal goal #87 is to "Convert to a greener household. No paper towels or napkins, greener cleansers." While I still have paper napkins, I am prepping for the conversion.

The four napkins are perfectly sized for my toddler's laps at 14" squared. Typical adult napkins are between 18-20 inches. I found this wonderful 3 little pigs themed cotton/linen blend fabric at Superbuzzy and ran to their warehouse to pick it up. (Side note, that place is super awesome and addictive and Kelly is such fun to talk to!) Since these napkins only took up 3/4 of a yard, I have enough fabric left over to make a few kitchen towels (and maybe a treasure pouch for each kid) and will post them when they're done. Considering how much cloth napkins cost to purchase, the hour or so of love and effort is well worth it... and, having a silly kid theme will hopefully ensure that they are used by my boys!

Today, we'll be continuing the piggy theme by reading the True story of the 3 Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka... silly and smart-aleck author of The Stinky Cheese Man. Perhaps we'll make piggy puppets with paper bags as well. I feel like saying "This blog was brought to you by the letter P!" Silly me.
Tonight's dinner will include Bar-B-Qued pork from one of my favorite cookbooks, The Wisdom of the Chinese Kitchen by Grace Young. Sauteed carrots, jasmine rice and brownies will round out the evening. I hope you all have a fantastic weekend!