Friday, February 18, 2011

Yum Yum Crouton Recipe

I am slightly, slightly addicted to the croutons and crisps sold at Trader Joe's.  Sourdough bread, oven toasted with garlic and Parmesan cheese... the simplest of yum yum yummyness!  So, what's a gal to do when the craving for these hits when home with two sleeping munchkins?  Make my own of course! 

While I am sure there are plenty of recipes both in my library and on the internet that I could follow, I felt this was something I could pop together quickly, so here is what I came up with.

Ingredients:
  • Sourdough bread, cut or torn into 3/4 inch squares-- about 2 cups
  • 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • Garlic, smashed, lots of it
  • Olive oil
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. On a cookie sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper, spread out bread
  3. Drizzle olive oil over bread and toss with hands to coat
  4. Spread out garlic and Parmesan and toss again
  5. Bake for 7 minutes, take out and toss
  6. Bake for 7 more minutes, take out and test crispiness.  If needed, bake 2 or so additional minutes.
  7. Season to taste with salt and pepper
  8. Try to let the croutons cool long enough to make it onto your salad!

On a silly but important side note:  Since Em and Ro were sleeping while I was having fun in the kitchen, I took at least 35 photos of the steps I took to make the croutons.  I'm practicing my food photography techniques and find that I am seriously lacking.  Horribly seriously.  ;-) 

My desire to improve this and other topics on the CelticMommy blog have landed me as an upcoming camper to Camp Blogaway... a boot camp for food and recipe bloggers.  I have not added many recipes on here because the photos for my food are just not as pretty as I would like... so, "Camera Mastery: settings, white balance" is one topic I will be sure to be early for at camp.  Admittedly, I am also excited to meet my fellow foodies who obsess over their own recipes and ingredients.  Soon, I will have figured out how to style my food like a model is styled for their photo shoot!

I hope you have a great weekend!