Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Middle of the week mess

My favorite reading chair in mid-week mess. Most weeks, I try to put back all the accumulated books I've taken out, but sometimes they just pile higher and higher to near-toppling point. Other than a yarn diet (which I will eventually explain), my only other resolution this year is one that I made and kept last year. And the year before that. To use every book I own. All craft books, cookbooks, homeschool books, reading books, etc. I thought maybe I'd reference my piles and what I've looked at this week thus far.

On the bottom left are kid type books on indoor and outdoor activities. I'm especially digging the new "Let's Go Outside!" book by Jennifer Ward on the top of the pile. And Ed Emberley's "Fingerprint Drawing Book" is excellent for rainy day fun.

On the bottom right and on the right arm are crafty books I'm going through for upcoming gifts for expectant loved ones as well as my own munchkins. I finally found a fabric to make my boys some reusable sandwich and snack saks with. Betz White's book "Sewing Green" suggests PUL but I'm going to try somethin' else... we'll see how that goes. And, if there's enough time, a purple gingham elephant from the Claire Garland book "Toys to Sew".

The entire top of the side table holds the cooking and baking books I've looked at, referenced or used this week. The Involtini from "Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen" came out tasty! The Irish Stew is currently on the stove from "The Irish Heritage Cookbook" and is always a hit in this house full of carrot and potato lovers. ... uumm, what else? Oh! Casatiello bread from Reinhart's "The Bread Baker's Apprentice", Cream Cheese Dough from Nancy Silverton's "Pastries from the La Brea Bakery", and hopefully tomorrow night, a Kougin-Amann from Gale Gand's "Butter Sugar Flour Eggs". Tonight I've had a hankering for Bialy's. so I'm reading up on those too. Yummy! Now I'm hungry!

Next week, more books and hopefully some food and craft photos as well.

What is on your bookshelf? What books never seem to stay put and wander around to your reading nooks and crannies?