Monday, August 4, 2008

Family blueberry pie baking

While food shopping on Friday, I came across some fantastic blueberries and decided we HAD to make a pie this weekend! Since pie needs to sit for a while, I knew Ro's Saturday afternoon nap time would be the perfect time to teach Em how to roll out crusts and also give the pie enough time to sit before being sliced after dinner. I grabbed several of my favorite dessert books, found the best recipe in Nancy Baggett's The All-American Dessert Book, and proceeded to get everything ready.

Em had a wonderful time adding all the ingredients to the blueberries and helping me stir everything on the stove under a slight heat before adding the filling to my completely uncooperative pie crust! We used a star shaped cookie cutter rather than little slits to vent the pie, added a little sugar to the top, and into the oven it went.

50 minutes later, the house smelled intoxicatingly delicious and the pie was done. We gave half to our neighbors and devoured the rest!