Friday, June 20, 2008

Beating the heat with iced tea, crafts & cucumber soup

So it was a little warm here today... as I type this at 10:57 p.m. it's 92 degrees outside. Cooler than the 111 from earlier today, but sheesh!

When I looked at my outdoor thermometer and I can no longer read just how ridiculously hot it is, it's time to switch my baking and tea-making schedule to as early as possible. I had planned on making Snickerdoodles today, but it was already too warm by the time I remembered to do it!

I decided to keep the oven in summer hibernation and used my electric kettle to warm up water for tea and made Cold Cucumber Soup instead. You may remember, I made this soup last year and last week even, but did not get photos. So, here's the recipe once again with visual stimuli.

COLD CUCUMBER SOUP
Ingredients
  • 2 Whole cucumbers - peeled, seeded and cut into small pieces
  • 1 Shallot
  • 1 Clove of garlic
  • ½ Avocado (optional for added creaminess)
  • 2 Cups cold chicken broth (cold) *Can substitute vegetable broth*
  • 8 oz. Plain yogurt
  • 2 sprigs of Fresh Dill, finely chopped
  • 1/4 Cup White Vinegar (can use 1/8 cup if you prefer less bite)
  • Salt
  • White Pepper
  • Liquid Maggi Seasoning
  • Crème Fraîche or Sour Cream (optional) for garnish
  • Chopped chives
Directions
Blend first eight ingredients together in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Add salt, white ground pepper and Liquid Maggi Seasoning to taste.

Chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour. Served chilled in cups and garnish with chopped chives and crème fraîche.

If you'd like to thin it out, add a cup of ice cold water. Makes 5 to 6 servings.

While the soup chilled out, I prepped my Tazo Sweet Orange Tea with the electric kettle and finally made one of the last, and most ambitious of the stenciled shirts I'll be working on for a while. One of Ro's very favorite books is "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" by one of my very favorite authors, Eric Carle. I traced the front cover caterpillar, x-acto knifed it out, and attempted my own interpretation of the caterpillar. The first layer is dry and I'll finish up the shirt tomorrow by adding the eyes and the wee hairs freehand. This freezer paper stencil stuff is very relaxing!!

The next blog will be "old" for the Unplug Your Kids project of the week.