Wednesday, April 30, 2008

It's a good thing I can use ASL...

... because I haven't got a voice right now... not even a whisper really! Luckily my children and I are all learning American Sign Language.

My ASL skills are beginner at best, as are Em and Ro's. Since my voice has temporarily vanished, we've gone through the morning routine of saying GOOD MORNING, HUNGRY YOU?, TABLE SIT PLEASE all entirely understood in ASL.

Ro is saying WHAT?

I actually read "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" in sign language this morning... well, actually it would be considered Manually Coded English since I was following the format of the authors' story and not actually speaking. The ASL format is much more beautifully complex than MCE, but my children have not learned much more than I -- yet.
The day will continue with ASL and I feel secure in knowing I will be able to properly communicate with my kids (and hubby when he comes home) because we are all learning together. I really like the fact that we, as a family, have taken on the task of all learning the same thing at the same time!

Em is saying COOKIE

Have you done anything similar? A language or another skill? I'd love to hear about it!